Amsterdam, the capital of Netherlands, is one of the hottest tourist destinations in Europe. The city is often referred to as the ‘Venice of the North,’ for its picturesque canal network. Featuring more than 40 museums, deluge of theatres, and myriad entertainment venues, Amsterdam is country’s leading cultural centre. The city is also known for its historical gems - well-preserved 17th-century architecture providing glimpse of the bygone era, for its hedonistic nightlife, coffee shops, colourful flower market, bike-friendly paths, and the Red-Light District. Tourists looking for cheap flights from Toronto to Amsterdam are advised to book tickets in advance to get offers and discounts.
Top Attractions in Amsterdam
Top attractions for tourists booking flights from Toronto to Amsterdam include -
- Dam Square
- The Begijnhof
- The Rijksmuseum
- The Royal Palace
- The Van Gogh Museum
- The Anne Frank Museum
- The Amsterdam Museum
- Rembrandt House Museum
- The Old Church (Oude Kerk)
- The Museum of the Tropics
- The Jordaan (neighborhood)
- The Jewish Historical Museum
- The Botanical Gardens & the Zoo
- The Stedelijk - Amsterdam's Municipal Museum
Famous Festivals and Events in Amsterdam
Amsterdam celebrates broad range of diverse festivals. Some of the top festivals for tourists booking flights from YTO to AMS include -
- Holland Festival - Celebrated in May/June, it's country's biggest performing arts festival. The festival features performances including theatre, visual, dance, opera, film, and more.
- Taste of Amsterdam - It's a culinary festival, held in May/June for 4 days with delicacies from some of Amsterdam's best restaurants and chefs.
- Amsterdam Dance Event - Celebrated in October, this is a festival for electronic music featuring 2,500 artists and 500 performances attracting about 400,000 visitors.
- Uitmarkt - Celebrated in August, it's the largest cultural festival in the Netherlands, taking place in central Amsterdam over a single weekend, featuring 300 performances over 25 stages.
- Amsterdam Art Weekend - This event is celebrated in November, featuring special contemporary art with around 100 events at 50 locations around the city.
- Amsterdam Light Festival - Celebrated between November, and January, this festival lights up the city during the festive season.
Interesting Facts about Amsterdam
- Amsterdam has more canals than Venice.
- Amsterdam has more bridges than Venice.
- There are more bikes than people in Amsterdam.
- There are over 2,500 houseboats in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam is one of the safest cities in the world.
- Every year on average 10.000 bikes are dredged out of the Amsterdam canals.
- There are 165 canals in Amsterdam that combine for a length of over 100 kilometres (about 60 miles).
Share your Travel Experience
Once you’ve visited the city, do share with us your experience through CheapOair.ca review section. Your tips and recommendation will be of immense help for other travelers. Have a happy trip!
FAQS for Booking Toronto to Amsterdam Flight Tickets
Which is the best time to visit Amsterdam?
The most suitable time to visit Amsterdam is between April and May or between September and November, before or after the peak summer season. These times feature mild temperatures, and fewer tourists. The summer season between June and August is popular tourist season, so expect to find Amsterdam packed at this time. The winter season, between December and March is short, dark, and nearly freezing, making the weather pretty much unpleasant. Winter season is the time to score cheap flights from YTO to Amsterdam, for tourists who can brave the cold.
What are the tricks to get cheap flights to Amsterdam?
- Travel in a budget airline
- Use air mile points to get cheap YTO to AMS flights.
- Set fare alerts to get alerts for the lowest flight discounts.
- Always search for flights in incognito or private browsing mode to see the lowest prices.
- Avoid flying on Fridays and Sundays. Most travelers want to leave on a Friday so they can make the most of the weekend, and Sunday is a popular day to return.
How long is the flight from Canada to Netherlands?
The total flight duration from Canada to Netherlands is 7 hours, 34 minutes.
Which is the coldest month in Amsterdam?
The coldest month in Amsterdam is January.